Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   
Standard fact sheet.
Large print fact sheet.

Development consent and owner-builder permits 

A 'development consent' is either a complying development certificate (CDC) approval or a development application (DA) approval. A CDC is issued by a private certifier or council. A DA can only be issued by a council.  

An approved development consent is essential for NSW Fair Trading to ensure the proposed construction is 'residential building work' that has been assessed and determined under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and its relevant regulations.

You do not need an owner-builder permit to obtain your development consent. However, you will need an owner-builder permit before you appoint a Principal Certifying Authority and before you commence building work.

Before lodging your owner-builder application, you must have:

  • completed the owner-builder self-assessment tool
  • completed and signed the appropriate owner-builder permit application form – form A, form B or form C
  • attached a copy of the approved development consent (not an application number)
  • provided evidence of ownership or a lease registered with Land and Property Information
  • attached evidence of a current general construction induction training card (within the meaning of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011)
  • attached evidence that you have completed the approved owner-builder course or satisfy the approved equivalent qualifications, if construction work exceeds $20,000
  • the required proof of identity requirements.

NSW Fair Trading will not be able to issue an owner-builder permit if the above is not provided with the application.

For detailed legislative information, see clause 136C of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 and section 29 of the Home Building Act 1989.

Get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader so you can access PDF versions of our information.