Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   
Standard fact sheet.
Large print fact sheet.

Transfer of incorporation 

Incorporated associations 

An association may apply for a transfer of registration to:

  • a company
  • a co-operative, or
  • a corporation under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act).

The transfer of registration does not:

  • create a new legal entity, or
  • affect the organisation’s existing property, rights or legal proceedings or obligations.

An association intending to transfer its registration should ensure it can comply with the requirements of the law under which it intends to transfer

Why transfer incorporation? 

An incorporated association may transfer its registration for a number of reasons, such as:

  • its size or activities mean its continued registration as an incorporated association is inappropriate
  • there are similar bodies registered under another corporate structure
  • it is a requirement of the organisation’s funding conditions.

Transferring registration 

An association wishing to transfer its registration must follow these steps:

1. Pass a special resolution 

Pass a special resolution to:

  • approve the proposed transfer
  • approve the proposed name under which the association is to apply to be registered, and
  • approve the constitution or rules

The association may need to pass additional resolutions or comply with other requirements under the legislation governing the corporate structure to which it intends to transfer. You should contact the regulatory authority administering the law under which the association is to become registered to determine the requirements.

2. Apply for a transfer of registration declaration 

Apply to NSW Fair Trading for a transfer of registration declaration by submitting an Application for approval to transfer registration (form A10), together with the prescribed fee.

3. Apply for registration as a company, co-operative or a corporation 

Apply for registration as a company, co-operative or a corporation under the CATSI Act with the appropriate regulatory authority.

After registration send the following documents to Fair Trading:

  • a copy of the certificate of incorporation of the company, co-operative or corporation, and
  • the association’s original certificate of incorporation.

4. Record the change of registration 

Record the change of registration and new name of the organisation:

  • on the organisation’s bank accounts, documents, books and records
  • with relevant Government departments including for taxation and other records (e.g. land titles and car registrations), and
  • on signage, letterhead and website.

Need further information? 

Contact Registry Services
PO Box 22
Bathurst NSW 2795
Tel: 02 6333 1400
Free Call: 1800 502 042

Top of page

Get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader so you can access PDF versions of our information.