Change text size:   Increase font size   Reduce font size  |   Print page:   Print this page
  |   Contact us   

Electronic goods 

Technical knowledge and experience 

The industry does not have specified qualifications, although some manufacturers authorise traders to carry out work on their products. These traders are usually specifically trained in the products offered by the company and therefore tend to offer more specialised services.

Top of page

Fees and charges  

An estimate is the projected cost of a repair.  A quote usually includes a complete diagnosis of the problem and details labour, parts and miscellaneous costs.

A fee is normally charged for a quote because of the nature of the work involved.

There is no price control for goods or services in NSW. However, where a price is provided, the trader should charge that stated price.

Where a free service call is advertised it will normally cover a technician coming to the home, examining the appliance and diagnosing the problem. Consumers should clarify what the quoted price includes. ie. service call, quote, parts, labour.

Top of page


All advertising for electronic goods repairs and servicing should be truthful, accurate, unambiguous, and not misleading in any way.

Any statement regarding qualifications or experience should be able to be supported and if licensed, the licence number should be printed on any advertising.

Top of page

Availability of repair facilities and spare parts 

The Australian Consumer Law requires suppliers to ensure that a reasonable supply of spare parts or repair facilities are available for goods that normally require them.

Top of page

When things go wrong 

Consumers who feel that their electronic goods have not been repaired correctly should contact the repairer in the first instance and discuss the problem.

If you are unable to resolve the matter contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20 or visit your local Fair Trading Centre to find out your options or lodge a complaint online. 

If the problem remains unresolved, you can contact the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) on 1300 006 228.

Top of page